E-Orientation for International TAs

Register for the E-Orientation Program by following this self-enrollment link

Welcome! This asynchronous orientation program and resources hub is designed for international graduate students, especially those who are interested in teaching at the University of Toronto (in roles, for example, such as teaching assistants (TA) or course instructors (CI)).

By joining this program, you will have access to a hub of resources on Quercus (U of T’s learning management ecosystem). In this orientation, you can access resource pages, watch short videos, and learn about other important supports related to teaching at the University.

Who is eligible to participate in this e-orientation program?

If you are an international graduate student who has accepted an offer to study at the University of Toronto, you are welcome to join this program. Current international graduate students who are interested in learning more about teaching assistantships (TA-ships) are also welcome to participate.

Note: You do not require a formal offer of a teaching assignment to participate – if you are an international graduate student who is interested in teaching at the university as a TA or CI, you will benefit from the content covered in this program.

How do you register for the program?

All you need to do is follow this link to self-enroll in the program.

You will need to have your UTORId and password in order to register. To activate your UTORid, visit the Activation website. If you are experiencing issues with your UTORid and password, please contact the Information Commons Help Desk.

What is the time commitment required to participate in this program?
You can expect to spend 2 – 4 hours watching the asynchronous videos and navigating the resources.

How do I know if I will have a teaching assignment?
Some students are informed about their teaching assignment as part of their funding package, whereas others may apply for TA opportunities within or outside of their home departments.

How do I know if I am eligible to work as an international teaching assistant?
If you are an international student with full-time registration status and a valid study permit, you are eligible to work in Canada with some conditions.

For more information, please visit the Centre for International Experience’s page on working in Canada, and regularly check this page for updates about work permits, international travel to and from Canada, or learning abroad during COVID-19.

Other questions or need additional information?
Please contact Yaseen Ali at yaseen.ali@utoronto.ca